Match Report

Arbroath v Stenhousemuir at Gayfield, Arbroath on 01.12.18
SPFL Ladbrokes League One Att 784
Arbroath 5 [Kader 31, Linn 36,52, Hamilton 79, McCord 83] Stenhousemuir 2 [McGuigan 21, 85]

Arbroath – Jamieson, Thomson [b49], Hamilton, Little, Whatley, Gold, Kader [Denholm 66], McKenna, Doris [Wallace 62], Swankie [McCord 80] and Linn. Subs not used – O’Brien and Hill

Stenhousemuir – Smith, Donaldson, Neill, Ferry, Gibbons [O’Hara 60], McGuigan [Halleran 85], Duthie, Cook [Ross 66], Dickson, McBrearty and Paton. Subs not used – McMinn, Tena, Reid and Vaughan.

Referee – Grant Irvine Assistants – Paul O’Neill and Ross Menzies

Stenhousemuir went into this game on a high after the defeat of Falkirk the previous week and the uncertainty of who was to take over the managerial reins had been lifted after the appointment of Colin McMenamin during the week.

It was hoped that the momentum would be continued but it was always going to be a difficult match against a team who were top of the table by a ten point margin going into this game.

The home side throughout showed exactly why they were in that position with a disciplined performance and a rapid attack which ended with clinical finishing. In the opening exchanges Stenhousemuir did well and Darren Jamieson had to dive full stretch to keep a long range Ruaridh Donaldson shot out.

In fact the visitors were to take the lead in the 21st minute when Mark McGuigan was able to get behind the defence and slot the ball home after Arbroath had been caught out when Alan Cook who was offside checked his run. Two minutes later there was a let off for Stenhousemuir when a free kick was blocked and fell to Michael McKenna but he slashed his shot just wide.

It didn’t take the Red Lichties too much longer to get on the score sheet though when Bobby Linn drove a cross in from the right flank to Omar Kader to fire home. Five minutes later it was to be Linn’s turn to score when he cut in before shooting into the net. Linn continued his scoring six minutes after the resumption when he ended a swift attack by tucking a Mark Whatley cross home.

To Stenhousemuir’s credit they continued to fight with substitutes Kevin O’Hara and Seb Ross almost getting them back into the game. Darren Jamieson came to Arbroath’s rescue when he saved an O’Hara attempt with his legs and then denied Ross after the Warrior showed quick feet to spin and shoot. The keeper though was lucky though when he miss-kicked a clearance that hit O’Hara and went over. Ross then had another chance after being picked out by a Sean Dickson cross but his header lacked conviction and was comfortably saved.

In the 79th minute Arbroath scored their fourth though there was a touch of good fortune in their goal. A Linn free-kick was blocked by the defensive wall but fell straight to Colin Hamilton who was to take full advantage to score from close range.

If that was not bad enough for Stenhousemuir things got even worse when Arbroath went nap after substitute Ryan McCord scored with virtually his first touch of the ball with a sweet strike from distance that Graeme Smith got a hand to but was unable to stop.
There was still time for a consolation goal for Stenhousemuir when Mark McGuigan got his second goal of the game with five minutes remaining.

Although the Warriors had lost five goals the result didn’t tell the full story as they played well for large spells of the game and on another day they may have got a more positive score. Nonetheless they need to start pick up points soon to stop themselves being rooted to the bottom of the league.

Warriors TV


Date Time League Season Full Time
December 1, 2018 3:00 pm SPFL Ladbrokes League 1 2018/19 90'


Gayfield Park
1 Queen\'s Dr, Arbroath DD11 1QD, UK


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome



9McGuigan, Mark 15 Forward 21', 85'
24Paton, Harry Midfielder
5Tena, Jesus Garcia Defender
21Vaughan, Bobby Forward
Yellow Cards
Red Cards

Past Meetings

1 - 2
SPFL Ladbrokes League 1

Stenhousemuir vs Arbroath