Match Report

Stenhousemuir v Arbroath at Ochilview Park, Stenhousemuir on 22.9.18
SPFL Ladbrokes League One Att 585
Stenhousemuir 1 [McGuigan 23] Arbroath 2 [Wallace pen 61, McCord 80]

Stenhousemuir – Smith [b90], Donaldson, Neill, Tena [b67], Ferry [Vaughan 83], Paton, McGuigan, Duthie, Cook, Ross [O’Hara 65] and Dickson [Gibbons 72]. Subs not used – McMinn, Reid, McBrearty and Halleran.

Arbroath – Jamieson, Thomson, Hamilton, Little, O’Brien, Whayley, Kader [Denholm h/t], McKenna [McCord 77], Wallace [b90], Swankie [b60] and Lynn [Gold 77] . Subs not used – Hill, Hester, Doris and Graham.

Referee – Mike Roncone Assistants – Andy Milne and Tony Fullerton.

After the disappointing performance at Stranraer the Warriors were hoping to get back to winning ways at Ochilview. This was going to be a big ask though as their opponents Arbroath were sitting proudly at the top of the table and were unbeaten in the league campaign to date.

Stenhousemuir made several changes as well as a change in formation with Mark Ferry returning after recovering from injury, Harry Paton made his first start since his loan and Mark McGuigan started after being absent last week.

The Warriors started the game positively and for the majority of the first half at least they seemed to play at a higher tempo than of late and looked more threatening going forward. Arbroath keeper Darren Jamieson had to be sharp to deny Sean Dickson in the sixth minute when he was alert to block a strike at close range. Ryan Wallace made the first real chance for the visitors when he turned Morgyn Neill but his shot was pushed round the post by Graeme Smith.

Gradually the Warriors upped the tempo and they took the lead in the 23rd minute. The attack towards the Arbroath goal had seen some flowing football but ultimately it was a mistake by Ricky Little who allowed the ball to go under his foot that set Mark McGuigan up and he took full advantage to tuck the ball into the net.

Harry Paton then tested Jamieson who was forced to save a shot at the base of the post. Towards the end of the half Arbroath showed they were by no means out of the game with the SPFL League One player of August threatening on several occasions. In between his efforts though Arbroath were unlucky to see Michael McKenna’s snapshot hit the post in the 38th minute. In the 44th minute Wallace was denied by a superb save by Smith and then Arbroath had the resultant corner kick cleared off the line.

An Alan Cook free-kick from long range just after the resumption failed to test Jamieson but after another bright start Arbroath began to have more possession in the Stenhousemuir half of the field. They were certainly applying more pressure but hadn’t really caused too much problems before they were awarded a penalty in the 61st minute. Ruaridh Donaldson had his arm raised when he blocked a cross and after the referee consulted the assistant referee he duly awarded a penalty. Whether it was hand to ball or ball to hand would probably have depended on which side you supported. Wallace was unfazed though and he sent Smith the wrong way to level the game.

Two minutes later Jesus Garcia Tena did well to track back and block a Wallace effort as the striker tried to play the ball over Smith. Stenhousemuir were not the threat that they had been in the first half but they made a couple of good chances in quick succession. The first in the 74th minute saw McGuigan head a Conner Duthie cross wide and a minute later a Kieran Gibbons cross picked out Cook running in at the back post but his strike went into the side netting.

Arbroath made a couple of substitutions just after this and the changes worked when Ryan McCord fired home the winner from the edge of the box three minutes later as Stenhousemuir failed to clear their lines

Warriors TV


Date Time League Season Full Time
September 22, 2018 3:00 pm SPFL Ladbrokes League 1 2018/19 90'


Ochilview Park
55 Gladstone Rd, Stenhousemuir, Larbert FK5, UK. What 3 Words reference: overdone.machine.darkens


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome


McGuigan, Mark Forward
Paton, Harry Midfielder
Tena, Jesus Garcia Defender
Vaughan, Bobby Forward


Yellow Cards
Red Cards