Ten men Warrios were victorious in the capital courtesy of a last-minute James Berry goal as Stenhousemuir were 1-0 victors against The Spartans.

The Warriors travelled to the capital to take on The Spartans at Ainslie Park. Stenhousemuir were hoping to bounce back from the disappointing 4-2 defeat at home to Dumbarton last Saturday, The Spartans were hoping to build on their 1-0 victory up in Peterhead.

The game took a while to get going, it eventually sparked into action after 12 minutes when some neat play from Mikey Anderson. He squeezed a ball through to Adam Brown whose effort from the edge of the box was well saved by Carswell in The Spartans goal.

A few minutes later, The Spartans had a flurry of chances. A tidy passing move provided Dishington with a chance, but his effort was blocked. Russell then dragged his effort wide of the target.

There wasn’t another chance until the 33rd minute when Adam Brown rose highest at the back post to meet Taylor’s floated cross, but it was well blocked. From the corner, Matty Aitken sent a powerful effort just over the bar.

Ross Meechan’s sweetly struck volley was saved at the end of a first half which was sparse of any big chances.

The Warriors thought they had opened the scoring on the 53rd minute when Aitken met Meechan’s cutback, but Meechan was adjudged to have been offside.

Nicky Jameson was sent off having picked up 2 yellow cards in the space of 2 minutes. He clashed with Russel on the right wing where he received his firs. He then got his second after his late challenge on the right wing.

Understandably, The Spartans grew in confidence with the extra man as they received more possession and pushed to win the game having a couple of long-range efforts in the process, nothing to trouble Darren Jameson in the Warriors goal though.

Stenhousemuir were always a threat on the break with chances as The Spartans committed more men forward. One chance came in the 80th minute when Adam Brown’s shot was well blocked before O’Reilly cross was cleared for a corner.

It looked like the points were going to be shared at Ainslie Park, but the Warriors clinched it right at the death, the 97th minute to be precise. James Berry sent Stenhousemuir ballistic when he met Kinlay Bilham’s free kick with probably his only touch of the match with a flick into the back of the net giving the Warriors all 3 points to take back to Ochilview.

The Warriors now have a week off before taking on Stranraer at Ochilview in two weeks’ time.

Match report by Angus Blacklock