It’s a break from League Two action, but not a break from League Two rivals. 3rd place East Fife visited Ochilview in the 2nd round of the Scottish Cup looking to avenge their League loss to The Warriors just a few weeks earlier.

Sean Crighton was forced to miss out due to injury which opened the door for Mikey Miller to return to right back.

Brennan starts in goals with Higgins, Jamieson and Corbett making up the back 3 with Forbes, Wedderburn, Philp and Miller across the midfield. O’Reilly and Brown supported Yates up front.

It was a quick start for the home side with Euan O’Reilly causing some early issues. He played the ball through to Ross Philp who couldn’t get his shot away. The ball broke back to Euan, but the visiting keeper made a good save to prevent an early lead.

GOAL: Despite the attempts to stop an early lead, up steps Adam Corbett with his first goal of the season! Matty Yates delivered his usual dangerous corner which was met by Corbett. However, big Nat Wedderburn blocked the shot on the line and his attempted back heel into the net was blocked with the ball bouncing back to Corbett who smashed into the net from 5 yards out. STENHOUSEMUIR 1-0 EAST FIFE [Adam Corbett 3 minutes]

A quick start was very welcome for the home side who usually fall victim of other teams starting fast.

GOAL: Once again, The Warriors concede early. Jack Healy skipped between Forbes and Philp and drive a cross into the box which was missed by everybody and ended up in the far away corner to quickly equalise. STENHOUSEMUIR 1-1 EAST FIFE [Jack Healy 6 minutes] 

That next chance fell to the visitors, but this time the shot was dragged just wide of Brennan’s right hand post.

There was an ever better chance a few minutes later and should’ve been 2-1 to The Fifers but for a last ditch challenge from the covering Miller preventing East Fife from getting a shot away. The pressure continued though but the 2nd phase came to a close with a wild header from Schiavone that went well wide.

Up until that point, the visitors were looking most likely to take the lead, until Ross Forbes flighted a free kick from his own half in behind the defence.

GOAL: Euan O’Reilly managed to pick up the 2nd ball from the clearance and he played in Adam Brown. The midfielder flighted in an excellent cross which was missed by Philp, but not by Matty Yates who was waiting at the back post and managed to volley into the back of the net from just a few yards out. STENHOUSEMUIR 2-1 EAST FIFE [Matty Yates 31 minutes]

Matty Yates proving again how valuable he’s become to Stephen Swifts side with his 7th goal of the season. Add in 8 assists and he’s become a vital part of the first team.

Another good chance for The Warriors fell to Mikey Miller, but his shot was deflected over the bar. Euan O’Reilly again caused problems down the left this time and his cross was met by Yates who managed to bring the ball down and chip the ball back towards goal. Adam Brown was able to get under the ball but his shot was blocked with Miller in on the rebound, but his shot was blocked.

Straight from the corner, Ross Forbes had a good chance too to increase the lead. He picked up the ball on wide and opened up his body on the edge of the box to fire in a shot which was well saved by Beveridge in the visiting goal.


Into the 2nd half and it was the visitors who had the first good chance. Almost identical to Ross Forbes’ attempt to close the first half, but this time it was Steven who forced a good save from Conor Brennan in the home goal.

Much of the 2nd half half became a non-contest with both teams cancelling each other out.

Euan O’Reilly continued to cause the away defence issues, but couldn’t get any shots on target.

In fact, it was the Fifers that almost got the games 4th goal with a speculative effort by Healy being tipped over the bar by Brennan. The visitors are really throwing all they can at securing an equaliser with Healy coming closest so far. The youngster has scored in both games this season against The Warriors, but has yet to see a victory against Stenhousemuir.

As the game was getting stretched, it was Beveridge’s turn to make a good save. Ross Forbes picked up the ball inside the box and he drove a vicious, angled shot towards goal, but the debutant keeper saved well.


2 goals in the opening 30 minutes of the match was enough to see The Warriors through to the 3rd Round of the Scottish Cup. The draw will be made on Monday 24th October at 4pm.

The teams included in the draw are:

Albion Rovers
Alloa Athletic
Annan Athletic / Pollok FC
Auchinleck Talbot
Ayr United
Cove Rangers
Drumchapel United
Dunfermline Athletic
East Kilbride
Elgin City
FC Edinburgh
Forfar Athletic
Formartine United
Greenock Morton
Hamilton Academical
Hill of Beath Hawthorn
Inverness Caledonian Thistle
Kelty Hearts
Linlithgow Rose
Partick Thistle
Queen of the South
Queen’s Park
Raith Rovers
Sauchie Juniors
Stirling Albion
University of Stirling
Wick Academy