Match Report


Stenhousemuir v Partick Thistle at Ochilview Park Stenhousemuir on 16.11.19

Tunnocks Caramel Wafer Cup Quarter Final                        Att 1,244

Stenhousemuir 1 [Hopkirk 67] Partick Thistle 4 [Cole 33, Harkins 69, Slater 78, Miller 85]


Stenhousemuir – Smith, Armstrong, Marsh, Dykes [Halleran 81], McGuigan [Anderson 63], Hopkirk, Cook, McLaughlin, A.Munro, Tiffoney and Gibson [McBride 81]. Subs not used – Marley, O’Neil, Watters and Potter.


Partick Thistle – Fox, Williamson, Penrice, O’Ware, Hall, Cardle, Miller, Cole [b75], Slater, Mansell [Harkins 62]  and De Vita [b27][Robson 53]. Subs not used – Sneddon, McGinty and Saunders


Referee – Alan Muir   Assistants – Paul O’Neil and Gary Hilland    Fourth Official – David Lowe


The Warriors could not continue their Challenge Cup heroics as they were ultimately beaten by a Partick Thistle side who were just too strong for them in the end.


Stenhousemuir introduced Jonathan Tiffoney for his debut whilst the Glasgow side made several enforced changes to the side with three players away on international duty, one suspended and one cup tied.

Whether these changes were responsible for the slow start by Thistle is open to conjecture. Indeed the home side had the better of the early exchanges without calling Scott Fox into action.


The visitors almost scored in the 13th minute when Lewis Mansell headed a James Penrice cross goalwards but somehow Graeme Smith managed to tip the effort over the bar. This effort seemed to be a catalyst for a better passage of play though the closest that they came was from Kenny Miller after he pounced on a loose ball but shot just wide of the target on the half hour.


It was not one sided though and the Warriors almost took the lead a minute later when a Tiffoney effort was deflected just past the post. Partick eventually took the lead in the 33rd minute after Reece Cole fired an effort low into the net from all of 25 yards after good movement on and off the ball by the Thistle players created an opening.


The second half saw Stenhousemuir start positively and Andy Munro saw a header go just over the bar five minutes after the restart. Craig Slater called Smith into action at the other end as the game became stretched. Kieran Anderson who came on as a substitute for Stenhousemuir tested Scott Fox with a curling effort two minutes after joining the fray.


The home side were working hard and they were rewarded for their efforts in the 67th minute when a Willie Gibson cross wasn’t cleared and when the loose ball landed at David Marsh the defender showed foresight not to shoot himself but to pick out the better positioned David Hopkirk who dispatched the ball home.


Partick were stung by this setback and took the lead once again two minutes later. A corner was met by Thomas O’Ware and although his header was blocked substitute Gary Harkins converted from close range.


Slater then celebrated his first start this season after injury scoring from a Joe Cardle through-ball in 78 minutes and veteran Kenny Miller put the game beyond doubt after taking advantage of lax marking to curl a shot into the top corner of the net. This goal came 21 years to the month since his first ever senior goal when he scored for the Warriors against Albion Rovers.


The eventual score was a harsh reflection on the Warriors who had played better than in recent weeks and ended a more interesting Challenge Cup campaign than normal.




Warriors TV


Date Time League Season Full Time
November 16, 2019 3:00 pm Tunnocks Caramel Wafer Cup 2019/20 90'


Ochilview Park
55 Gladstone Rd, Stenhousemuir, Larbert FK5, UK. What 3 Words reference: overdone.machine.darkens


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome
Partick Thistle134Win



Partick Thistle

Yellow Cards
Red Cards