Match Report

Forfar Athletic v Stenhousemuir at Station Park, Forfar on 25.08.18
SPFL Ladbrokes League One Att 467
Forfar Athletic 2 [Baird 30, Mackintosh 36] Stenhousemuir 0

Forfar Athletic – McCallum, Meechan, Malone, Munro, Wilson, Reilly, Bain, Mackintosh, Baird, Coupe [Fraser 76] and Moore [Starkey 88].
Subs not used – Whyte, Kennedy, Kelly, Allan and Muir

Stenhousemuir – Smith, Reid [b56] [Duthie 67], Donaldson, Neill, Tena, O’Hara [McMenamin 74], Gibbons [Vaughan 74] , McGuigan, Ross, Cook and Dickson
Subs not used – McBrearty, Johnson, Halleran and McMinn.

Referee – Grant Irvine Assistants – Calum Spence and Ross MacLeod

This was ultimately a disappointing performance from Stenhousemuir who once they conceded the first goal never really looked like getting back into the game.

In the opening exchanges of the game a Sean Dickson shot was saved by Marc McCallum though not without some discomfort for what should have been a routine save. That should have given the visitors a boost but they rarely threatened from open play. The next opportunity came from a Ruaridh Donaldson long throw that wasn’t cleared properly and Alan Cook picked up the loose ball but shot over.

Forfar had an early effort from Jamie Bain that went wide but the first warning signs of the day to come was in the 20th minute when a good passing move ended with a Murray Mackintosh shot being blocked for a corner. The midfield and defence had been opened up too easily and the Loons had an even better chance a minute later when John Baird timed his run to create a chance but unusually for the striker he missed the target with his shot. He came closer with a diving header from a Ross Meechan cross in the 26th minute but he was to wait only another four minutes as he tapped home a Bain cross from the left flank. Macintosh then had a shot part blocked after the referee allowed advantage to be played after a Stenhousemuir infringement. Another Donaldson throw caused problems at the other end and McCallum had to save a Morgyn Neill back header.
Forfar extended their lead in the 36th minute and this time it was Macintosh that netted after good work by Lewis Moore.

Stenhousemuir created one last chance before the end of the half this time from a Donaldson cross which Seb Ross just failed to connect with. The ball fell to Kevin O’Hara but he failed to control the ball and the Forfar defence were able to clear.

The start of the second period was probably the best period for the Warriors and Ross and McGuigan exchanged passes but the former shot wide of the mark. This was followed shortly afterwards by a McGuigan header from a Dickson corner being cleared off the line.

Forfar should have extended their lead in the 64th minute after Stenhousemuir failed to clear and Connor Coupe picked out Andy Munro who should really have done better than side-foot past the post. O’Hara saw a shot on target from the edge of the box in the 68th minute. McCallum wasn’t really tested though and when the ball was transferred to the other end Moore struck a curling effort that Smith did well to stop.

The introduction of Bobby Vaughan and Colin McMenamin indicated a desire to attack to try and get back into the game and for the Londoner although he was on the pitch for only 16 minutes it was probably his best spell yet and he created the best chance towards the end of the game for McMenamin but he hit a wild shot off target. This summed up the Stenhousemuir performance in general which wasn’t up to the standard of previous weeks.



Warriors TV


Date Time League Season Full Time
August 25, 2018 3:00 pm SPFL William Hill League 1 2018/19 90'


Station Park
10 Carseview Rd, Forfar DD8, UK


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome
Forfar Athletic202Win

Forfar Athletic



9McGuigan, Mark Forward
5Tena, Jesus Garcia Defender
21Vaughan, Bobby 20 Forward
Yellow Cards
Red Cards

Past Meetings