The club was formed via a breakaway group from a local junior team called Heather Rangers in 1884. They played at two other local grounds, Tryst Park and Goschen Park, before settling down at Ochilview in 1890.
The nickname 'The Warriors', has been used since at least 1887 but the actual origins of the name are lost. The club first played in the Midland Central League, moving to the Central Combination League then the Central League before finally moving to the newly formed Scottish League Division Two proper, in 1921.
They enjoyed their best spell of success around the turn of the century, winning the Scottish Qualifying Cup on two occasions (1901 and 1902) and reached the semi-final of the Scottish Cup in 1903. In those days the Qualifying Cup was second in importance only to the Scottish Cup. The team also were Consolation Cup finalists 1in 1912/13 and were beaten in a replay by Galston. Since then silverware has been few and far between although they have won the Stirlingshire cup nine times, most recently in the 2001/02 season.
The team's best season was in 1960/61 when they finished in third place in Division Two with 50 points, scoring an amazing 99 goals. The best ever goal scorer was Robert Taylor with 32 goals in 1925/26.
In 1928 the club's wooden grandstand was burned down in a fire and a new stand was erected in its place. But horror of horrors, it was discovered at the last minute that the architect had omitted for access to the seating and these had to be hastily added.
On November 7th. In 1951 the club created history by playing Hibernian in the first floodlit match in Scotland. One of the team's greatest hours in recent years came in 1972 when they beat the mighty Glasgow Rangers 2-1 at Ibrox Park in a League Cup tie. The result would have been even better if they had not lost the first leg 5-0 at Ochilview.
The league campaigns of 1987/88 and 1988/89 saw the warriors just miss out on promotion by a couple of points after being in the chase for most of the season.
The reconstruction of the Scottish leagues meant that third place enabled the Warriors to be playing their football outside of the lowest senior league for the first time since the early 1920's, a great achievement for such a small club. 1994 also saw the proposed bid by a supermarket giant for the Ochilview site fail. If they had been successful it would have meant a new all seater stadium being built.
Season 1994/95 was one of the most successful in the club's history, reaching the the Quarter Final of the Scottish cup, knocking out higher league St. Johnstone and Aberdeen en-route.
However, season 1995/96 surpassed anything that has gone before when Stenhousemuir reached the final of the League Challenge Cup final. On the way to the final The Warriors disposed of Montrose, 3-1; holders Dundee 1-3 and Stirling Albion 1-2 in the Semi-final, Stenhousemuir's first national Semi-final since 1902!
On Sunday November 5th. 2500 Stenhousemuir supporters converged on McDiarmid park in Perth, filling one end of the stadium for the final against Dundee United who had recently spent two million pounds on players. The sides remained locked at 0-0 after extra time and in a nail biting finish the Warriors won the penalty shoot out 5-4.
One of the most curious facts about Stenhousemuir F.C. is the widespread fan base collectively known as 'Warriors Abroad' with many fans based in England and more bizarrely a large following from Norway. The supporters are loyal band and for many years our Viking friends have appeared at Ochilview in full Nordic regalia. Everyone in Stenhousemuir has taken our colourful friends to their hearts.
More recently great improvements have been made at the ground with a new 626 seater stand being built in 1996 and the old stand eventually being demolished in 1999. The ground capacity is currently 2645.
The team won promotion to the second division 1n season 1998/99 but unfortunately could not sustain their presence there, rejoining the third division ranks in season 2001/02. The team narrowly lost out on promotion in season 2005/06, falling only in the play-offs. However with the dedication of the board and the appointment of John Coughlin as manager there is great determination to go one better in the current 2008/09 season.
Ground improvements continue with the installation of a New Covered Enclosure being erected over the west terracing prior to the start of season 2003/04 and the installation of a FIFA two star rated synthetic pitch prior to the start of season 2006/07 and this quality has now been extended to the seven -a-side pitches which also have new changing facilities and showers.
A new floodlighting system was installed during Season 2006/07.
During season 2007/08 the football club was awarded the Scottish Football Association National Club Licence after having been assessed in all relevant areas of competence, which now puts us among the few Scottish Football League clubs to be awarded such a prestigious award.
A new perimeter fence and Tarmac Car Park was completed on the north side of the ground during season 2008/09 which has alleviated parking congestion when the facility is used by the local community.
During season 2009/10, the club erected a new Community and Academy office to allow staff to manage the increased Community and Academy programme.
A purpose built TV Gantry was installed at the start of season 2010-11 to facilitate our Warriors TV camera crew.